 Technic / 4188
Re: a question for those with lots of technic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 13:13:07 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark writes:
Gaurav Thakur wrote:

IYeah, they actually don't look too bad if several of them are used (as done
in Dennis Bosman's mobile crane). The ones placed in the rear can also be
stacked in front of each other pretty easily to make the model look a bit
more realistioc (real trucks seem to have multiple tires placed on top of
one another in the rear).

I've no idea what the situation is in the US, but in the UK there seems
to be a move away from the double wheel arrangement on trucks. The
majority of trailers
nowadays, for example, have three axles, each of which has only single tyres,
albeit slighter wider than normal. I believe the law here states that driven
wheels must be double when bearing a heavy load, but other than that there is no
explicit requirement. This leads to a fairly common arrangement on 6x2 tractors,
where only one of the rear axles (the driven one) has double wheels. The
non-driven rear axle is often steered and can be retracted for travel with a
light or empty load.

The US has a HUGE fleet which makes it hard to spot trends sometimes. The
vast majority of over the road trucks continue to be 18 wheelers (tractor
with 1 steer axle, 2 tires, and two drive axles, 4 tires each, trailer with
two axles, 4 tires each). However I have noticed a slight increase in the
number of single tired axles on trailers. Very slight, so far. A single axle
instead of two is more common. We've always had a lot of variation (trailers
with smaller wheels for highcube low weight lading, trailers with extra
axles, steel centipedes with 8 axles all of which can be independently
raised to "walk around" corners, etc) so it's hard to tell.

In construction trucking (dumps (tippers), concrete pumper trucks, cement
mixers, building supply trucks) the trend is toward much larger (and lower
pressure) single tires on the rear axles. But these are mostly straight
trucks rather than semis (artics). And I think the trend there is driven
more by increased sensitivity to soft ground and the damage that dualies
cause than anything else.

However dual steer axles are very rare overall. Much rarer than in the UK,
they are used only in very special situations (cranes and the like) where
there is no way to balance the load without using them. Usually the vehicle
itself was imported from Europe, although I have seen one Mack that had
them. Once.

I think part of the reason for dual wheel popularity is the vast number of
truck stops we have that are equipped to service them (at 700 bucks a tire
to replace one tire!!!) making change (of the equipment) a long and
expensive proposition.

Laws about what is the max allowed vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction,
most states set their own weight and axle/wheel limits. But the tire and
wheel sizes seem pretty standard across the US.

Disclaimer, I don't work in this biz, this is based on my (could be flawed)
observation only as I travel around the nation...

++Lar