 Technic / 4192
Re: a question for those with lots of technic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 22:03:10 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
Hey guys,

just reading the last few postings. What I think is a factor in the dual
steering axles is the size of the roads. In europe we're a bit more pushed
for space (and nowhere more than here in Holland of course) which makes
roads narrower and corners tighter.

That and the center of weight is closer to the center of the vehicle due to
reduced length.. the US can afford to blow length on essentially unused space

About those walking things (isn't an 8 legged centipede about 92 legs
short?): there was a program about forestry on the other night (those
relaxing dinner-time documentaries) where they showed an 8 legged machine
that had an arm that could grab a tree, cut it, and strip it from branches.
Very impressive. I'll see if I can find pics.

This is cool, but what I meant by "centipede trailer" is one with 8 to 10
axles and each axle is air sprung and can actually remove itself from
contact from the road independently. So in going around a tight corner, the
driver makes the axles go up and down in waves (the way a centipede walks)
so as to be able to round the corner without tearing the tires off the rims.

Didn't find a pic of one yet. Just think lots of axles all in a row.

++Lar