 Technic / 4150
Re: a question for those with lots of technic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 11:48:26 GMT

Henry OneTimeCRX wrote:

Jonathan Wilson wrote:

Has anyone considered building a car transporter thats to scale with the
8880,8448,8865 supercars?

I am certain I tried this (unsuccessfully!) in a moment of foolhardiness
about 20 years ago, when things like the size of the tyres on the truck
didn't really bother me.

1) there aren't wheels big or strong enough,

Sortof! The wheels on the trailer of those vehicles are often very small, a
bit like those on a low loader, so I think the 24x43 would be fine in this
case, and you could use three axles, perhaps with a "helper" axle brace on
the outside to distribute the weight. What about the Power Puller wheels for
the tractor? They are certainly too wide, but given that the rear axle(s) on
the tractor are usually double wheels, this would not be a problem here
either. If you build a European style tractor, it should also be possible to
conceal the width of the front wheels since the cab is over them. The radius
covered by the wheel when steered would be rather large however, but this is
nothing new in Technic design.

2) all the weight of the cars is too much for lego parts to
bear without extensive (and ugly) bracing.

I am not so sure about this either; if you look at car transporter trailers,
much of the design of the real thing is in fact bracing - function has
dictated form. Presumably it would be possible to use this to your advantage
in the Technic model, in fact I suspect that if you followed the layout of a
real transporter the model would be surprisingly strong.

Plus, the transporter would
span the length of a couple meters, at least.

You think this is a problem? :-)

In saying all this, while I think the model is doable at this scale, that is
not to say I am going to be the one do it. A Technic figure scale transporter
would be excellent though, with Fredrik Glockner style cars on it.

Jennifer Clark