 Technic / 4146
  a question for those with lots of technic

Has anyone considered building a car transporter thats to scale with the 8880,8448,8865 supercars? (24 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) I thought about it after I got a 8462 tow truck & realised it was way too small. After some playing, I realised the main problem is wheels. You could get away with 24x43s, but they're really a bit small for a prime mover of that scale. (...) (24 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  RE: a question for those with lots of technic

That would be cool, but I think it would be too heavy to hold together... (...) (24 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) I have made my own supercars (sorry I haven't made a good website for them yet), including a Honda CRX, a Honda NSX, and a McLaren F1 LM Roadcar. These are all approximately to the scale of Lego's supercars, although the McLaren somehow (...) (24 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) I am certain I tried this (unsuccessfully!) in a moment of foolhardiness about 20 years ago, when things like the size of the tyres on the truck didn't really bother me. (...) Sortof! The wheels on the trailer of those vehicles are often very (...) (24 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) That's a neat idea; I probably don't have the pieces needed to construct it (it would have to be very large)...it probably is possible, but the main axles would have to be VERY strong and the truck would also probably require a lot of (...) (24 years ago, 3-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) I imagine it would be possible to fill them with the foam stuff that sets to a solid type substance... I actually don't have a clue what I am talking about here but I've seen it somewhere before in my life, but have no recollection of the (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

Looking at Dennis Bosman's trucks I'd say it has to be possible, and you should use the tyres he's using: the old solid tyres. The big ones as found in 853 for the truck, and ones like in 8848 for the trailer. Duq "Jennifer Clark" (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) True, the triangulation of a real transport truck's structure would help make the trailer strong, but the weak point IMO would be the black pegs that connect all the pieces together. There's just too much freeplay at the joints, and loading a (...) (24 years ago, 5-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) The only trouble with this is that the scale of the truck will then be too small for the supercars. These wheels do look great for trucks though, it has to be said. Jennifer Clark (24 years ago, 6-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

As far as I know they're the biggest wheels around. They're the same diameter as the Silver Champ wheels. The Power Puller tyres could be slightly bigger, but they're the same hubs. So I'm afraid they'll have to do the job.... Duq "Jennifer Clark" (...) (24 years ago, 6-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) Yeah, they actually don't look too bad if several of them are used (as done in Dennis Bosman's mobile crane). The ones placed in the rear can also be stacked in front of each other pretty easily to make the model look a bit more realistioc (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) I've no idea what the situation is in the US, but in the UK there seems to be a move away from the double wheel arrangement on trucks. The majority of trailers nowadays, for example, have three axles, each of which has only single tyres, (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) The US has a HUGE fleet which makes it hard to spot trends sometimes. The vast majority of over the road trucks continue to be 18 wheelers (tractor with 1 steer axle, 2 tires, and two drive axles, 4 tires each, trailer with two axles, 4 tires (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) Great answer Larry, you must have a mind like mine that accumulates all this sort of stuff for later citing. My head is full of it, which is pretty sad in a way but useful if one makes Technic models :-) (...) This sounds interesting - are (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

Hey guys, just reading the last few postings. What I think is a factor in the dual steering axles is the size of the roads. In europe we're a bit more pushed for space (and nowhere more than here in Holland of course) which makes roads narrower and (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) That and the center of weight is closer to the center of the vehicle due to reduced length.. the US can afford to blow length on essentially unused space (...) This is cool, but what I meant by "centipede trailer" is one with 8 to 10 axles and (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) Here's one, although it's a heavy equipment mover, and has lots more than 10 axles. Lower left pic on this link: (URL) other types of heavy-duty movers on that link, too. :) James (24 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

Sorry, it's 6 legs on the forest walker. Pics and info here: (URL) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) Yeah...I'm in the US too and mostly see the usual 18 wheelers. I have seen quite a few trash trucks though which seem to have 3 drive axles in the back, each housing 4 wheels (making total number of wheels 14). The interesting thing is that (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) Dunno about Europe, but here in australia they're reasonably common - often used for flat-trays carting building materials (brick pallets, etc). They generally have the 4 front wheels & 2 axles with 4 wheels each on the back. Many also have a (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) centipede is a steel hauling trailer. That is, it hauls structural steel (or coil steel) It's the same form factor as a regular 48' or 54' dual axle trailer except it has more axles. Way way more, like 8 or 10. Same width, same length. Does (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) Ah, OK. Mild misunderstanding on my part... I thought the interest was more in the funky wheel thing, which IIRC these also use. I get to see these (relatively) frequently, with about 5 major industrial plants along the stretch of highway I (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Four wheels good, two wheels bad

(...) In a European context they are sometimes referred to as a "lazy axle" and are retracted when the load in the vehicle is empty or light. The idea is to reduce tyre wear and improve fuel economy by reducing friction etc. I would imagine that (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Four wheels good, two wheels bad

(...) They are common as muck here; as well as the type of vehicle you mention above, they are frequently used as heavy duty tippers, skip trucks and cement mixers. Jennifer Clark (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) I'm currently working for Tenix, who are building ANZAC frigates for the Aus & NZ navies. They have these really neat vehicles for loading modules off barges[1]. They have 12 individually steerable axles, which can also be individually (...) (24 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) If you look closely you can see tiny air holes in the hubs for the air-filled tires (at least all types I have have those holes), so they are by design not airtight. It might be an interesting project to change that and apply pressure :-) (...) (24 years ago, 9-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: a question for those with lots of technic

(...) Maybe put some kind of valve in the air-hole? ROSCO (24 years ago, 9-Mar-01, to lugnet.technic)