 Technic / 16535
Re: Technicopedia Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2008 18:33:23 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Anders Isaksson wrote:
   Eric Albrecht wrote:

   http://www.ericalbrecht.com/technic/ Technicopedia

Nice! One minor ‘complaint’ though: IMO, the 360 animations are rotating too fast, so it’s difficult to really see any details. The super thing would be to have a controllable 360 rotation, so I could stop at any angle and look closer. I don’t know how that could be accomplished, though.

I wanted the animation to look smooth, and they look jerky if I use less than about 20 frames per second. I also needed to limit the number of frames to something that would produce a reasonable file size, at the same time not taking forever to render. Each revolution has 80 frames.

Also, the renders are not very high resolution, so it would be difficult to see detail in any case. They are really there just to show what the model looks like from any direction.

One of my goals with this site was to make the interface simple and not require any special plugins to use it. That being said, I could probably accomplish something like you requested with Flash, although I don’t have the tools to do it. The other thing I considered was an embedded Quicktime movie. It would still play in a loop, but you could freeze at any frame and advance to your liking. This would require a plugin, but it would work. Quicktime VR would be even better. Then you can zoom and rotate. Again though, I do not have the tools to do this.

I’ve placed a sample Quicktime movie here. Let me know what you think.

In any case, I still have all the individual frames used to make the animations, so I can try other things if anyone has specific ideas. Changing the frame rate is easy.

Best of all will be when I get around to including the Ldraw file. Then you can look at any angle you want and even take it apart.

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll play around with it and see what others think. Animation changes may be slow though, since my main focus is to get all the models included.

Eric Technicopedia