 Star Wars / 4079
Re: SW set list for 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 18:12:18 GMT

James Simpson wrote:

In lugnet.starwars, Damian Garcia writes:

Eric Kingsley wrote in message ...

And THAT is why I try not to stray from the movies.  If there was one story
about his survival, I might have bought it.  Since writers want their own
manifestation of Boba Fett alive in their stories, The story becomes a bunch
of "what ifs" and "thats how I see its".  I know alot of people will call me
narrow minded, but if it was not in a Lucas movie, I don't give it much
credit.  If Lucas wanted Boba Fett to survive, He would have chronicled his
survival in one of the movies.  As with (almost) everything Star Wars
nowdays, Bringing back Boba Fett was nothing more than a financial ploy.
Next thing we are going to hear is that Darth Maul survived.  "No, really!!
Watch it again, as he his tumbling down the pit in two pieces, you see his
legs and body tumble back into place..."

I completely agree.  I do not think that the power of Star Wars can be conveyed
in print in any way that does justice to the feel, to the texture of the saga.
The books try to capture the epic quality of the movies, but in this they fail.
SW and TESB created something unique; the books just seem to rework the
scenarios; they don't seem to have an original vision.  I believe that the
movies stand alone above the cheap fiction that aspires to copy the grandeur.
In my opinion, the books should be taken with a grain of salt.  No matter how
many books have Boba Fett escaping from the Sarlaac Pit, he was in there for a
thousand painful years, and I have no reason to believe that he escaped.  Who
among us would have fallen in love with "Star Wars" if it existed entirely in
the written medium?  Those extra books try to extend the myth, but they don't
create anything that even remotely resembles the quality of the films (well,
the
quality of Episodes IV & V, anyway).  The movies take precedent over the books.
Again, just MO, but there it is.

George Luscas has a team of people that do nothing but insure that all
the movies, books, comics, and even the plots of the computer games fit
into a complete non-contradictory and interlaced story.  For example, SW
ep.4 special edition had the "outrider" fly out of Mos Eisly as Luke and
Obi-wan get there in the speeder.  The "outrider" was only ever seen in
a comic book before that.  Bottom line: whether or not we like it the
books and comics are unlike Star Trek stuff, considered canon. (canon
refers to occurances in the ficticous universe that are regarded as fact
within that universe and cannot be contradicted.)

James "Lugnet . . . never will you find a more wretched hive of scum and
villainy . . . we must be careful!" Simpson

--
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men"

Visit me at:  http://members.tripod.com/~LordInsanity