 Star Wars / 4085
Re: SW set list for 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 19:45:16 GMT

Shaun Sullivan wrote:

Mike Petrucelli wrote:

George Luscas has a team of people that do nothing but insure that all
the movies, books, comics, and even the plots of the computer games fit
into a complete non-contradictory and interlaced story.  For example, SW
ep.4 special edition had the "outrider" fly out of Mos Eisly as Luke and
Obi-wan get there in the speeder.  The "outrider" was only ever seen in
a comic book before that.  Bottom line: whether or not we like it the
books and comics are unlike Star Trek stuff, considered canon. (canon
refers to occurances in the ficticous universe that are regarded as fact
within that universe and cannot be contradicted.)

Actually, I'm pretty sure that almost none of the sources outside of the
movies are considered canon.  Refer to the following article:

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/continuity.html

All of this merely referes to the order of precedence in the event of a
contradiction.  If a movie doesn't contradict it then it happened.  That
is the basic definition of cannon.

The order of precedence being:  Movies, radio-drama/novelisations,
continuation books, and comics.

Note that "novelisations" refers to novelisations of the movies, not the
extended-galaxy novels put out by pulp authors.  Even shadows of the
Empire, which did seem to take great pains to be continuous with the
Star Wars chronolgy, is not "canon".

Specifically, examples are provided where some of the novels and comics
directly conflict with canon (movie) sources, including:  "Splinter of
the Mind's Eye, some of the North American Marvel comic series and the
Droids cartoons and comics".

Furthermore, I've read some interviews with George Lucas, and it is
painfully clear that he does not personally follow all of the material
attributed to the Star Wars galaxy.  Indeed, it almost seems as if he
doesn't really care what others are doing/writing/saying, as long as
they have obtained permission to do so.

Then why would be paying a team to keep contradictions as low a possible
and have added a ship to a scene in special edition.

And that's all of the information, useful or not, I can contribute.   :)

shaun

--
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men"

Visit me at:  http://members.tripod.com/~LordInsanity