 Star Wars / 2159
Re: TPM Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 22:45:39 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Todd Lehman writes:
Tom, based upon your excitement of this track, I picked up the TPM album
last night at the record store...

BLOWN AWAY by the music!!

What?! Let me turn it down...

Sorry. Now, what did you say? :)

It's Star Wars but not Star Wars.  Almost a total reinvention -- but with
a few familiar old themes.  Overall, an incredible mixture of operatic
sounds, horns, drums, and hints of the old west and ethereal sea adventures.

Good assessment. I agree with it, and am still chewing on it.(1)  I like the
way the insert opens up to be a mini-poster too. Quite cool.

A lot of the album seems to be filler/background music, but I still have to
say I think it was well worth full retail price...

Often, during a movie if you notice the soundtrack, it's not as well-written
as it could be. This makes sense with the filler/background music argument.

...but I think Duel of the Fates (and its reprise in 17 End Credits) is my
favorite overall.

It is still my fav too. And I think it was written to be the signature piece
for this movie. The Star Wars theme on track is now basically cool reading
music.

This is going to be one wicked powerful movie!!!

I'm going for the sheer eye-candy of it all, and anything else will be a bonus
for me.

p.s.  Tickets [supposedly] go on sale tomorrow in the U.S.!

Try not to spoil it for me! :)  I won't be seeing it for at least a week,
maybe two, as I can't justify waiting in long lines these days. I'll probably
end up trying to avoid the .starwars group for awhile after 5/19 until I see
the movie.

-Tom McD.
when replying, don't chew the spamcake.

(1) I managed to get my hands on the soundtrack a bit early as there was a a
promotional copy of the whole soundtrack (in addition to the "Duel" single)
sent to the radio station, and the news director managed to funnel this one to
me as well :)  It totally made my week!