 Star Wars / 1667
Re: Duel of the Fates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 05:32:46 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Tom McDonald writes:

(1) obligatory larritarian footnote(2)
(2) Darth Maul doesn't have/is not using the second light sabre blade.

This may sound like a weird question, but...

Does the hilt seem really, really long?  I mean, much longer than the sabres in
the original trilogy?   I ask because there's been noticed a, umm, discrepancy
in the length of Maul's hilt.  At some points, it seems really long, and at
others, it seems shorter, leading to various spoiler-ish speculations.

My guess is that it should seem really long at that point in the movie, but I
can't be sure.

To see what I'm talking about, download the trailer.  No, the second one.  Now,
look at two scenes:

The first one is of Maul standing in the desert, watching a ship take off.  I
think it's when Yoda is saying "Always two there are".  Here, you'll note the
really long sabre hilt.  Since this should be after the duel with Qui-Gonn on
Tatooine, I'm guessing on the cover it should be this length.

Elsewhere in the trailer is a close-up of Obi-Wan bringing his sabre down to
attack Maul.  Maul is sort of on the left of the shot, and the two sabres are
in the middle.  Pause it and look at the hilt of Maul's.  Much, much shorter
than the other scene.

What does this mean (I mean, besides that I've spent way too much time looking
at the trailer)?  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

eric