 Star Wars / 16378
Re: Selling my MOC Gunstar (maybe)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 04:55:21 GMT

Well I caused quit the ruckus and I suppose I should try and respond.  I’m a
little hesitant because I am more likely then not going to make things worse on
me but here goes:

1.  My wife:  Somehow she became a villain and that is my fault.  I suggested to
her that maybe I could sell my Lego collection (which over the last 4 years I
have spent about $8000 to build) and my comic book collection (about $3000).
She said that she would be willing to sell her die cut collection and her,
honest to god, stuffed monkeys.  Recently I went back to grad school and am now
contributing no money to our bank accounts.  I thought if I even managed to get
a fourth off the value of these things that would help create an emergency fund
in case two months into owning a home the furnace blows up or something along
those lines.  My wife never asked me to sell these things but she was supportive
of the idea.

2.  Mark Sandlin:  I am truly sorry that I have upset Mark.  I have found his
work to be nothing short of glorious and find myself often envious of his talent
(A talent that I will never come close to touching).  I saw his Gunstar and
thought, “This is everything a Lego MOC should be.”  I openly admit that his
ability to take pictures of the Gunstar and turn it into a Lego model is far
more impressive then my talent of taking his 2D pictures on Brickshelf and
turning it into my own 3d model.  However, this doesn’t entitle Mark, or Jon
Palmer (my other idol on Lugnet and Brickshelf) to chastise for me for being
inspired by Mark’s creation and then 9 months later thinking about selling it.
I am happy to say that I used the pictures of Mark’s Gunstar as reference, I
also used pictures from the movie, as well as some 3d models I found at another
website.  I used what I thought worked in Lego from all three of these sources.
I struggled with my own choices and piece selection.  I spend approximately 20
hours hunched over my workbench trying for My Own Creation and I stick by
calling it an MOC.

3.  Jon Palmer:  I love your work and even made a direct copy of your G-Wing
because I was awestruck and fascinated with your use of the Duplo egg.  I waited
6 weeks to find such an egg on Ebay and began this copy.  This was an
intellectual exercise because I learn new things from everyone here everyday,
and I still have a lot to learn (someone politely and correctly pointed out that
most of my work is sub-par).  You will not find any pictures of my copy of your
g-wing on Brickshelf because it was just that…a copy.  Your original work, your
original idea, your original design, my copy.  I would never have suggested
selling it because I do feel that would have been wrong because there was
nothing of me in it.  However, I did invest an awful lot of myself into my
Gunstar and I have no qualms that it is mine to sell.  I see a distinction
between my Gunstar and my copy of your G-wing that perhaps you do not, which is
fine.

4.  Everyone else:  Thanks for your advice.  I haven’t yet decided to either
sell or not sell my collection.  To be honest I don’t think I am ready to enter
back into my dark-ages of Lego building so I think I will not be selling
anything.  Also, to be honest, my Gunstar was not in any serious threat of being
sold.  I am just way too proud of it to part with it easily (it sits in my
living room and is often the centerpiece of attention).  I was just testing the
waters and looking at all my options to raise money for the above mention
emergency fund.

So I guess I needlessly made some people angry with me and made some people
angry with each other for which I am sorry.  Further, Jon Palmer is right when
he says I posted this in the wrong newsgroup and I am sorry about that as well.

Ryan