 Star Wars / 13302
Re: Poor Target....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 03:23:15 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Matt Sekerak writes:
I almost feel pity for them.  My local Target (So. Portland, Maine) had lots
of EpII Lego.  Since I already own a copy of Jango's Slave I, I didn't
really want a second one so I thought I would annoy the sales people a
bit...being the a$$h@le that I am.  I pointed right to the mistake, they
scratched their heads.  They tried to point to Technic Jango...I pointed to
the sales tag, then the Slave I box.  They were stumped.  Long story short,
they got a department lead over to the scene to scan the Slave I bar
code...$24.88.  I said, "Fine, I'll take two."  I checked out of Target, and
checked in to WalMart.  Returned the two Slave I sets at WalMart for store
credit only (because I couldn't reproduce a WalMart receipt).  Got home with
a Republic Gunship.  No flyer in hand, no questions asked.  I know, I'm
going to hell.

-Matt

Sorry, this is too good to comment on.

Folks, you need to ignore the troll, sorry Matt, but if the crazy hair and
weird eyes fit, wear em.

Anyway, we obviously have a situation here, which is very easy to solve.
Tell yourself this:

We have poor "Matt" who has nothing better to do in Maine than to fraud a
Wal-Mart store.  Quite unfortunate, but it happens everyday.

Let's first name the person who does this...

Since "Matt" admits to this, for this purpose we will call him "Honest
Matt".  However, since "Honest Matt" has a lower moral standard than us, so
we will call him "Honest Matt with No Morals".  But wait, that doesn't have
a good ring for one.... and he also doesn't know that what he did was
against the law... so obviously he is a "Moron" (used in the correct sense
as one who is ignorant towards law), so we have "Honest Matt the Moral
Moron".  Fits nicely, Matt, the first part of this tale is over...

Let's next talk about how "Honest Matt the Moral Moron" hurts everyone,
including himself, when he frauds our local stores.

While "Honest Matt the Moral Moron" did something illegal and wrong to
Wal-Mart he is unfortunately not the first and will not be the last.
Fraudulent activity happens everyday in every store practically.  It occurs
because no computer system is perfect or can catch criminals in progress, no
managers are perfect, no store associates and definitely no customers.  They
all contain a sinful nature whether that is stupidly believing or being
infact "Honest Matt the Moral Moron (HMMM)".

Unfortunately there isn't much we can do about it unless we jump into our
Jeeps and go bang on HMMM's door and demand his Republic Gunship... but that
would also be illegal nevermind.

What "Honest Matt the Moral Moron" doesn't realize is the economic principle
in the whole matter.  HMMM ripped off Wal-Mart... and to a point, Wal-Mart
builds into their annual budget an area to write-off shrink from these
people, including HMMM.  Shrink is stealing, damages, refund fraud, etc...
basically anything that goes out of the store as loss that was originally
supposed to be profit.

If in a year Wal-Mart plans for 1000 HMMM's to walk into the store and cause
shrink and in fact 10,000 do, their figure next year will be higher.  If
that figure is higher they will have to raise prices or encourage their
merchandisers to raise prices to make up for the loss.  With people like
"Honest Matt the Moral Moron" in the world, it raises prices and causes our
stores to trust the consumer less.  While people will say "the customer is
always right" unfortunately ladies and gentlemen he's not always moral,
right Matt?  Prices go up in part because of inflation and natual price
increase, however they are boosted a lot because of dishonest people.  A
company tries not to take a loss and stay competitive in the market and they
do this by raising prices to make up for shrink.  The more HMMM's in the
world the higher prices and the less product for your dollar.  I cannot
condemn HMMM for what he did because to a point every consumer does it, even
the most honest... but I can say, if we had less HMMM's in the world - or at
least the less defiant, we wouldn't have high prices and poor economic
trends in America.

Regards to you and this fine economics lesson for today.  "Honest Matt the
Moral Moron", there is no reason to write back, I am not attacking what you
did... just saying that if the shoe fits, wear it... and including an
important Business/Economics lesson.

Regards,
SRZ