 Star Wars / 13282
Re: Poor Target....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 21:03:56 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, John Hansen writes:
Let me know what the manager says.

Hey, who cares?

It is well said that the buyer should beware.  But let the seller beware
also.  If they do not, it is their problem.

I am not going to make a protracted defense of the Target/Wal-Mart
switcheroo scenario, but have none of you ever recieved things at Xmas time
that you wished to return but didn't have a reciept for the item? To further
complicate things,  you could only make an educated guess as to where the
item was purchased.  What did you do then?  If you were me and you had
received a George Foreman Grill (read: "useless pile of junk, difficult to
clean, the enemy of any good cook, give me grandma's iron pan and a gas
flame"), you took it to whomever would accept it.

The whole thing pivots on intent -- and yes the intent to deceive is
certainly present in the Target/Wal-Mart scenario, and not present in the
Xmas scenario (where one makes a good faith attempt to return an item to the
right place) -- but really, so what?  Ultimately, the end is the same.  If a
retailer needs to protect against this kind of thing then they should
maintain a strict no receipt, no return policy.  Should they fail to
maintain such a policy, surely their reasons for failing to do so are beyond
my concern.

Otherwise, let me get this right: it's my problem that eToys did things that
forced them into bankruptcy?  If you were like most of the people on Lugnet,
you didn't give the slightest concern for their plight and scored when the
scoring was good.  Look at how we are reacting to the nearly daily K-mart
reports -- are we samaritans out to help the weak and failing, or vultures
waiting to rend the corpse for all that it will yield?

O and BTW, let s/he who is without sin cast the first stone.

-- Hop-Frog