 Star Wars / 13280
Re: Poor Target....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 20:45:19 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, John Hansen writes:
Go to your local WalMart and ask the manager whether their return policy
allows you to return to their store an item purchased at a different retailer.

Ask this question: "Can I return an item here that I purchased at a Target
store?"

Let me know what the manager says.

Y'know, I almost think it might depend on the manager-- After all, they'll
let you return items without receipts (for store credit only, of course),
which implies that they already know FULL WELL that customers can return
things from other stores.

So why do they have that policy? Well, obviously (I'd say) so that they
(Wal*Mart) can get the business. I mean, if someone's got store credit, they
have 3 options:

- not redeem full store credit value. Result? Wal*Mart makes money, but only
if they can sell the returned item for more than they lost.

- redeem for EXACTLY the same value. Result? Wal*Mart breaks even

- redeem for full value of credit *PLUS* extra money spent at Wal*Mart (in
this case an extra $50 for a Gunship). Result? Wal*Mart gets more business!
AND that so-sought-after "customer satisfaction".

Whichever way you slice it, Wal*Mart will probably break even or win (unless
they get so many Slave I's back that they can't sell them all and are forced
to reduce their price)

I'd bet that if you asked a manager if you could return something purchased
from another store, they might go either way. Some might say "Ok, but just
this once", and some might say "No, we don't do that". I'll bet it depends.

Anyway, the real loser in this is Target, not Wal*Mart. And they're living
with their mistake instead of trying to take back what they said-- unlike
the 75% off Ames sale oh-so-long-ago.

$.02,

DaveE

(FUT debate, by the way-- maybe market.theory? Dunno... debate for now...
not starwars)