 Space / 7660
Re: Where's all that gravity coming from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:31:59 GMT

Damraska wrote:

<snip>
How about this:  build a large drum (or box) with arms attached to opposite
sides.  At the end of each arm resides a habitation module.  When stationary
(or simply not accelerating), the arms pivot outward from the drum and you
spin the whole ship.  When thrusting, the arms pivot down, flush with the
sides of the drum/brick.  Airlocks on the ends and sides of the arms allow
entry into the central hull depending on the position of the arms.  The arms
and habitation modules suffer stress along the same axis in both modes of
operation.  Come to think of it, when I was a little kid, I had a very, very
cool space station model that used just this design.  When folded, the whole
space station was cylinder.  After reaching orbit, three leaves folded out,
away from the central body.  Each leaf comprised a habitation module (with
many decks).  The central tube contained fuel and the thrusters.

<snip>

You just described my "Extra Stout" space tug - an entry into Mark
Sandlin's space contest of this past summer:

The only difference is that I didn't rotate the entire ship, just the
pods and arms.  There's a rotator cuff with internal passageways which
permits the bridge and cargo areas to remain stationary while the cuff
rotates.

Check out the descriptive text file.

Jeff