 Space / 7488
Re: Where's all that gravity coming from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 16:08:22 GMT

In article <m27l23ejs0.fsf@komodo.bayview.com>,
William R. Ward <hermit@bayview.com> wrote:
It seems to me that this approach might be a little unstable.  The
overall center of mass would stay in one place of course, but with
respect to certain axes it would be problematic, especially when
maneuvering.

Given that a rotating disc/ring/sphere would also tend to create a gyroscope
effect, I don't think this is that much of an issue. Besides, maneuvering
means even _more_ fuel you have to haul around. Get pointed in the right
direction, spin up the disc, go, spin down the disc at the other end and
do the fine adjustments to park the ship.

Using a flatter strucure like an Omega destroyer or Leonov would work
similarly, I suspect.

I'm thinking however that one could construct a ring of modules where
the modules connect to one another.  The question is, how can such a
connection be made?  Lego doesn't really have a way of making shallow
angle bends like that in a corridor.  If anyone has any ideas I'd love
to hear 'em.

I dunno, I think some click-hinge plates and some overlap in the walls might
work out for something like this.

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <