 Space / 7467
Re: Where's all that gravity coming from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 01:28:03 GMT

Check out Jeff Elliott's superb Extra Stout Heavy Space Tug to see an example
of the arm-with-compartment idea:

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=1018

This is by far the most realistic space MOC I have ever seen.

Mladen Pejic, over and out!
http://members.attcanada.ca/~milovan/index.htm

In lugnet.space, Trevor Pruden writes:
In lugnet.space, Tony Hafner writes:
To build a centrifuge you need to make a large (at least 30 studs in
diameter at minifig scale, I would say) ring.  And it has to be
airtight of course.  I don't know of any way to do this using the
tools we have at our disposal, though I'd love to hear ideas.

You don't need a ring- you can have an arm of arbitrary length with a
compartment at the end.  And you can have as many compartments as you want,
as long as the center of gravity is at the axis.  I believe that there was a
ship with this sort of design in 2010: Odyssey 2.

Sure, a ring makes more sense.  Separate compartments means that you have to
go through the hub to go from one compartment to another.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com

Yep, I agree on the 2010 reference.  The Soviet ship had and arm that
rotated, unlide the enclosed circular drum of the American craft.

Most of my ships rely on anti gravity since it's a Star Trek accepted
technology.  And it's easier to build with.  ;^)

I have thought about this recently though, and it would be a fun project.  I
have seen one small ship made (forget the site) with the arm.  My concern is
that for even an arm that is 30 studs long, your can rip that thing right
out of the bearing.  An arm for me would probably be about 40 studs long
from one compartment floor to the other compartment floor 180 degrees around
the central axle.

How about a central axle made from a black single piece column, and the
bearing surface is made up of 4 macaroni pieces, with a bit of grease to
lubricate?  I don't have these pieces, and I know it may sound flaky, but
it's bay better than using a singe technic axil of the weight of each
compartment builds up as you make the air tight environement, access tunnel
and details.  You would want to make the compartments large enough to have
beds, eating areas, excercise areas and a medical bay, and you can leave the
science, engineering and helm to the weightless areas.  That would cut down
on the space needed in the gravity compartments.  Also, if you plan on grown
food, you would want to grow in in the gavity compartments because I believe
a study was done testing the effects of weightlessness on plant growth.  I
think the result was that plants have adapted to the need for gravity just
like animal life.  So a hydroponics bay belongs in the arm, but not
necessarily at the 1 G level.

~Trev
Astro Lift Co.