 Space / 7571
Re: Where's all that gravity coming from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 21:41:43 GMT

In lugnet.space, Damraska wrote:

[snip]

That's only the start of your problems.  :)

[snip]

Here's another problem: with the conventional approach of acceleration via
some propulsion, artificial gravity is not your problem.  The real problem
is shedding the excessive G's.

My numbers could be (way) off, but (assuming I'm right) if your ship
accelerates at a constant 1G for the first half the trip, and decelerates
at 1G for the second half, you can reach Alpha Proxima in about 2 years.

That's fine for an explorational crew, but it sucks for military or
commercial ships.  The only way to get there faster is to accelerate
harder.  Because distance traveled varies with the square of time, you've
got to accelerate 4 times as hard to get there in half the time.  To cut
your travel time down to 6 months, you'll be under 16G accel/decel all the
way.

Ouch.

And yes, this is all ignoring Officer Einstein's interstellar speed limit.

Steve