 Space / 7569
Re: Where's all that gravity coming from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 21:01:00 GMT

Mladen Pejic wrote:

Check out Jeff Elliott's superb Extra Stout Heavy Space Tug to see an example
of the arm-with-compartment idea:

http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=1018

This is by far the most realistic space MOC I have ever seen.

Heh, thanks Mladen... you beat me to the punch.  But I was going to
address another point in the original posting:  About big spherical
fuel tanks:

If you study space flight and chemical propulsion systems, you'll
find that using any technology we've used so far, we simply can't
build big enough fuel tanks for constant acceleration at any
level approaching 1 G for any serious distance (like, fer instance,
the moon or mars).  It just takes too much fuel.  You can just
forget about other star systems; for travel a few light years at,
say, .5G, you'd need more than the mass of our solar system as fuel.

You'd need a lot of round bricks for that.

I'm with you on the unlikelihood of grav generators, but we may one
day come up with a better system of locomotion which doesn't
involve shooting mass out the back of the vessel. (see NASA's
Breakthrough Propulsion Programme for more)

I assume that sort of technology, and so I can build my fuel tanks
as small as I like, since they're only energy sources, not propellant.

For a whole lot better explanation, go to:

http://sibyl.www.media.mit.edu/people/sibyl/projects/cognition/science/rocket.html

or

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/2838/space.html

Jeff