 Space / 7588
Re: Where's all that gravity coming from?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 14:11:08 GMT

In article <G9x4w1.71E@lugnet.com>, Damraska <Damraska@Excite.com> wrote:
You could also build a ship with three components:  central drive, fuel
module, and crew module.  Under thrust, the fuel and crew modules sit on top
of the drive.  When stationary (or not accelerating), you spin the drive and
reel the other two modules out on tethers in opposite direction.

Ooooh, tethers. I like that idea. Though I dunno how to build it in Lego. :)
In fact, one could do something like this where both sides are habitation
modules, and have an "elevator" that climbs and descends the tethers should
minifigs need to go back and forth.

Maybe the cold of space will inhibit the chemical reaction.  Or accelerate
it.  Or cause parts of the superstructure to congeal into POOPs and BURPs.

Hm, do BURPs block high-energy particles?

I guess the shield could sit on top of the sphere, sort of like a mushroom
cap.  I think any ship, no matter what it looks like, can take advantage of
the slingshot to some degree.  How about three nested spheres:  outer for
the drive, middle for the shield, and inner for the crew quarters.  Still
ugly to build.

Indeed. And a sphere's worth of shielding sounds terribly heavy to have to
haul around.

By the way, we left out potentially the most efficient fuel of all:
antimatter.  Of course, collecting a usable amount will require a lot of
colliders...

Colliders I can put on planets and moons and asteroids and not have to
carry them with me.

On the other hand, this theory means I'm never going home.

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <