 Space / 6722
Re: LOM vs. Space (was Re: On Paranoia: King Leo's Castle)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 22:34:10 GMT

Shiri Dori wrote in message ...

Some (2) would say that SW brought the deterioration of Space either way,
coz Insectoids and LOM are (in *their* opinion, not mine!) nowhere near
quality of classic space or even more recent themes.

Now there's earlier Classic Space and later Classic Space. The earlier sets
are probably the best Space sets ever made, but the later ones, especially
most of the white sets, are subject to the most gratuitous case of
nostalgia-coloured glasses I've ever seen. Blacktron 1 was designed and
introduced for a good reason: because Space needed good sets again. Frankly
I think the LOM mechs (and the trike, I love the trike) are comparable in
design to the best of the late Classic Space sets.

Others would say SW didn't do anything, that LEGO was going down in all
their fields anyway, and SW was the only good thing that came out of recent
years.

I liked Spaceport a lot. There, I said it. I've got thirty-two 1181's and
four 6456's and I love the sets to bits. 6456 is huge fun and the parts are
fantastic. So what if there are some Town Jr walls and stuff, they're still
very useful pieces. And four 6456's gives you enough crawler tracks to make
the launch pad for a REAL Lego space shuttle MOC... ;-)

Others yet, who think LOM is a great theme, would say that I'm just
babbling. And they'd most likely be correct. ;-)

I definitely think LOM's a great theme. Although design-wise it's not really
better than SW, I think I like it more for being fresh and original, and
more reasonably priced on its debut (at least in my country, although the
prices could still be better).

And me? I think Space is Space. Castle rules. So there. ;-)

Pah! Castle rules what! Endless rehashes of the Tolkien universe! Yawn! It's
a pity I don't know of any Castle sites by Japanese AFOLs. Japan is about
the only culture that has achieved genuine innovations in the fantasy genre,
and realised that it doesn't _have_ to feature orcs, goblins, elves,
dungeons, dragons and medieval architecture.
Then again, maybe I've been looking at the wrong Castle sites. Surprise me!

Cheers,
Paul
LUGNET member 164
http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/