 Space / 6785
Re: LOM vs. Space (was Re: On Paranoia: King Leo's Castle)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 14:32:21 GMT

Note to Spaceheads: This started here, so I'm posting here, but also to
.castle and that's where I pointed followups to. If you've no desire to
hear anything about the adjustment of warfare during the Renaissance,
go to the next post now. :)

In article <G8FEs7.7Au@lugnet.com>, Aaron West <maniac@netwebb.com> wrote:
the castle of Edinburogh (sp) Scotland.  It was made to destroy castle walls
quickly.
SO, in the real world, plate armor and Castles fit PERFECTLY with gunpowder.

Particularly given that the armor that Lego minifigs wear is often fairly
ornate. Basically, the development of the Arquebus and the cannon rendered
nobility as being useless in warfare, removing them from their traditional
role as cavalryman, who ruled the battlefield. The spanish (I want to say
peseta, but that's probably not right), a formation of pikemen in the
front and arquebusmen behind was vicious on cavalry-- if you don't charge,
the arquebus gets you, if you do charge, the pikes get you.

The cannon required sufficient expenditure that only kings and high level
sorts could afford it, so the nobility were out there, too. Particularly
since the cannon tended to get used on the small nobles' keeps when the
noble tried to thwart the king's wishes and hold out in his castle like
he could successfully do in the middle ages.

In order to at least _look_ important, the armor the lesser nobles wore
<which was still useless versus an arquebus) got much more ornate in the
1500s. Full plate armor was a direct result of this tendency. The Dragon
Master helmet, while not historically accurate at all, I think makes a
good example of that tendency taken way too far.

-JDF
--
J.D. Forinash                                     ,-.
foxtrot@cc.gatech.edu                            ( <