 Castle / 7626
Re: On Paranoia: King Leo's Castle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 06:58:42 GMT

Erik Olson wrote:

Oh come on. King Leo's Castle is a very Juniorized set. You can cheer it on
in a general sort of way: yay, parents want to buy Castle for the holidays.
But can you really cheer on Leo's castle itself?

I got one of these recently and was pleasantly surprised.  It's really
much better than I expected it to be. A lot of good parts, and the
design wasn't any worse than any other recent LEGO buildings.  (no, it
doesn't even compare to something like 6074 or 6066, but it's not as
horrible as I expected it to be)

The line sold out all over New York too. Other 2000 sets are back on shelves
but not KK. Good? Bad? Who knows? They'll probably be back in February or
March, but we all know Harry Potter will be filling that shelf space in
October, and that's still a wildcard. (probably sell like wild, I just mean
we don't know if it'll be good stuff.)

I think there are a few reasons why KK is hard to find right now,
especially the castle:

1. Large sets such as the castle seem to have sold very well (or else
retailers didn't order enough of them) at Christmas.

2. LEGO is probably aiming to have KK off the shelves at about the time
Harry Potter comes out.

3. LEGO seems to stop production of the large sets before they stop
making the small ones.  For example, 5988 started to disappear from
shelves around September of 1999, whereas the rest of the Egypt sets
were plentiful until early 2000. (At least in Southern California.)

I'm sure we aren't going to see more KK (except a few small sets,
perhaps) but not because LEGO views Castle as a failure or anything like
that.  I think they just want to get it out of the way for the
introduction of Harry Potter, and because most themes recently have been
released in the "make all new sets first year, continue making original
sets with only one or two new sets the second year, drop off face of
planet 3rd year" pattern.  (examples: rock raiders, arctic, egypt,
amazon, dino island)

--
Tim Buchheim