 Space / 21202
  Re: Dragonstar!

"Daniel Jassim" <danieljassim@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:HA2yvK.16u@lugnet.com... (...) I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say that I think you can do better. I understand this might get me flamed to oblivion but I personally think (...) (21 years ago, 11-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Dragonstar!

(...) I agree with Jon, although I would instead say that I think you could "build different." I think the ship looks darn fine, but it is rather similar to Gibraltar. I know you dig on Star Blazers, so that's cool... but I'm just not blown away by (...) (21 years ago, 11-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Any new MOCs, Mark?

Mark, Glad to hear your back! I have'nt heard anything about you in a while, so I was getting a little worried :(.I wrote you a while back, and you said you had some stuff for after the holiday season. Just wondering when and if we'll get to see any (...) (21 years ago, 11-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Dragonstar!

(...) Man, I was beginning to think I was the only person who was thinking this. I've been puzzling for a day or so just exactly what I wanted to say about the Dragonstar, and I still haven't worked it out. It is very clearly a "Dan Jassim Cap Ship" (...) (21 years ago, 11-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Dragonstar!

Hey Jon, thanks for the input. This ship is in the same fleet that includes Gibraltar and Regent. Thus, any resemblance to those ships is 100% intentional. It’s the same general box design, same use of base plates, same placement of the bridge, (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Dragonstar!

Dan, from one **big** boxy ship builder to another, I still think it rocks. And yes, I do see marked improvement from both the regent and gilbraltar to this one. I do agree with the points made by Mark and Jon, in reference to the fact that there (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Scale (was Re: Dragonstar!)

(...) Then again, LEGO has a long tradition in compressing designs to keep piece counts down. Consider this to be the cap ship version of the 4 wide car, if you catch my meaning. The fact that Dan's managed to get a ship this size to convey the (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Any new MOCs, Mark?

(...) Well I had been planning some stuff, but then we got caught up in selling our house. All my LEGO is packed up at the moment, and I move in two weeks. I plan to dig it all out soon after setting up camp at the new place. I even have a new (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Dragonstar!

(...) Well, it's SUPPOSED to look similar because it's part of the Space Force fleet that includes Gibraltar and Regent, all made by the same imaginary military design bureau at some imaginary shipyard where all of Space Force’s starships are built. (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Dragonstar!

(...) Agreed. Though don't let this collide with constructive critisism. -JHK (21 years ago, 12-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Dragonstar!

In lugnet.space, Daniel Jassim writes: <snip novel> Hey man, don't take it personally. I definitely see what you're saying about it being a "ship of the line." Peace, ~Grand Admiral (21 years ago, 12-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Dragonstar!

(...) In lugnet.space, Daniel Jassim writes (...) snip (...) Hi Dan! Glad to see your new ship, sorry I didn't post earlier, I've been kinda busy last couple days. This is a good thing to get out in the open... and I see the points on boths sides. (...) (21 years ago, 12-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Dragonstar!

(...) here, for those that haven't seen it before: (URL) is the ship I was referencing. cheers! Jk (21 years ago, 12-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Dragonstar!

Hey Joel, I appreciate your post and your take on what was said or implied, and so forth. I feel bad that you felt you had to “defend” Jon. That implies that I’m on the offensive when I’m just trying to respond to comments that I didn’t really find (...) (21 years ago, 13-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Dragonstar!

(...) Aiyeet. (...) Word is bond, yo. D (21 years ago, 13-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  More on critiquing, was Re: Dragonstar!

now that this is boiling down somewhat, I'd like to offer this: We just went through this is .mecha I offered some helpful tips on critique here: (URL) forgot something in it though, I didn't discuss the one being critiqued. We have to realize that (...) (21 years ago, 13-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

  Re: Dragonstar!

Thanks for the reply man. Just as long as you know none of my comments were a personal attack, then we're straight. [ j o n ] -- (URL) Jassim" <danieljassim@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:HA6Cx1.3wA@lugnet.com... (...) includes (...) same (...) (...) (21 years ago, 13-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Dragonstar!

Dan, Rock on, man! Just build what you want, and remember: There aren't any rules!!! She's a beauty, and must have taken a hell of a long time to design and build. I'm more than impressed! Keep up the good work. Peace and Long Life, Tony Alexander (21 years ago, 13-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Note to Curator on Scale

(...) dude this rocks it should go on the .space crash course imho :-) -paul (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Critiquing and Dragonstar

(...) my 2 cents on the way here (-paul) 1) despite any criticisms, we really gotta admit that it takes a lot of time and effort and thought to even do something as "simple" as putting a fat yellow line around a really big box. Dan deserves much (...) (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.space, lugnet.general)

  Re: Critiquing and Dragonstar

(...) I'm not really sure what you're saying here, Paul. I've already heard that my MOC is "boxy" and "exactly like Gibraltar except it's yellow." Maybe you should clarify (or not). Dan (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Scale (was Re: Dragonstar!)

(...) Well if you assume minifigs are average human height you would get 3 studs to 1 meter. I think that is what most people go by. -Mike Petrucelli (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Scale (was Re: Dragonstar!)

(...) But the gist of my previous post is that if you translate that vertical measurement into the horizontal it's not quite right. For best accuracy, one must use and exxagerated scale (ie. vertical scale is different to horizontal scale) Besides, (...) (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Scale (was Re: Dragonstar!)

(...) I hope you didn't take me to mean I was dismissing your logic, I was simply stating what most people (or so I assume) go by. Of course upon further thinking I realized someing. Most Lego cars are 4 studs wide just like the doors. That really (...) (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Scale (was Re: Dragonstar!)

(...) Hehe. And most houses released by Lego scale to about the size of my bathroom. I think we all realise that LEGO takes certain liberties with accuracy in the name of playablilty and piece count, and that's ok. I was talking, as was Jon at the (...) (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Scale (was Re: Dragonstar!)

(...) I personally use the 1 stud = 1 foot scale (or 3 studs = 1 meter). Sure, it means that my minifigs (even the female ones) are built like linebackers, but it's easy to convert. And I think that is the reason why so many people use it, if they (...) (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Scale (was Re: Dragonstar!)

(...) I prefer a larger scale too, for the same resaon: (URL) Dave E's excellent analysis of the subject: (URL) J (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Dragonstar!

Hey all, Just catching up on this thread. Busy non-Lego stuff lately. Turned into bit of a lurker. Just three comments I want to throw in: 1) See my post in the sub-thread on Feedback Thoughts. (URL) Dan, I must have missed the other ships in the (...) (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Critiquing and Dragonstar

(...) I'm just saying that when any artist spends a lot of time and energy and skill doing something, you have to give them credit for that even if you don't like the end product. There's lots of paintings I don't like, but I would never want the (...) (21 years ago, 14-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Dragonstar!

(...) <snippage> (...) I can see Jon's point, but by the same token I can see refinements to the structure that are obviously lessons learned from _Gibraltar_ et al. The problem is that Dan hasn't yet detailed the interior, so we can't get a really (...) (21 years ago, 15-Feb-03, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Any new MOCs, Mark?

(...) Mark ... I love your starships. I'd love to see some more capital ships from you. (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.space)