 Space / 21317
Re: Critiquing and Dragonstar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 23:14:41 GMT

In lugnet.space, Daniel Jassim writes:
In lugnet.space, Paul Hartzog writes:

1) despite any criticisms, we really gotta admit that
it takes a lot of time and effort and thought to even do
something as "simple" as putting a fat yellow line around
a really big box.

I'm not really sure what you're saying here, Paul. I've already heard that
my MOC is "boxy" and "exactly like Gibraltar except it's yellow." Maybe you
should clarify (or not).

Dan

I'm just saying that when any artist spends a lot of
time and energy and skill doing something, you have
to give them credit for that even if you don't like
the end product.  There's lots of paintings I don't like,
but I would never want the artist to think that I thought
they were doing something "bad"

I don't think people give enough credit sometimes to ALL
of our builders in here, no matter what they build.  Even
the stuff that "sux" is the product of someone's energy
and time, and I just thing we should be aware of that
when we post.

re: 'boxy and yellow'  my point was that even IF you think
its just a big box w/ a yellow strip around it (and I
don't), that still takes work.

one last caveat:
For my OWN building, I do try to use a realistic sense of
scale.  If you check out my in progress Eon

there are plenty of water-borne yachts that would dwarf
my Eon, but I went to a lot of trouble to use what I think
is appropriate scale, but that's MY style.  If others like
it and want to use it, thats fine, if not, thats fine too.

in fact,
if you look at all of my stuff you'll notice that the ratio
of cockpit to ship is always an attempt by me to approximate
some sense of "real" scale, but again, that's just MY bag.

I think you make great "Dan ships" and they're NOT
"Paul ships" and thats great, because if we all build the
same, then what's the whole point?

:-D

-paul