 Space / 21243
Re: Dragonstar!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 04:10:59 GMT

Hey Joel,

I appreciate your post and your take on what was said or implied, and so
forth. I feel bad that you felt you had to “defend” Jon. That implies that
I’m on the offensive when I’m just trying to respond to comments that I
didn’t really find that constructive, in my opinion. And really, it’s up to
Jon to speak up if I’m taking things the wrong way. I mean, assuming the
criticism is genuinely constructive, then I'm cool. Honest! I welcome
suggestions that I can work with.

(Rant Switch Activated!)
But Jon’s “you can do better” doesn’t exactly help me or motivate me. I
happen to know that I worked very hard on this model, passing up quality
time with the family these past few weekends so I could have a new MOC I
could proudly display at Brickswest. I don’t mind someone suggesting I can
do better but if I feel I gave my best already, what more can I do? And
Mark’s follow up to Jon’s post saying that I need to “build different”
didn’t exactly address anything I could improve on this model. He’s just
saying he wants to see me build something “different,” whatever that may be.
Seemed more like a statement of disappointment.

In fact, the general vibe I got from them is that this MOC is the same old
thing, not all that impressive and/or rather disappointing. But that’s no
big deal, REALLY. I respect the neophyte in everyone. But I find it
interesting to wonder about what the response would be had I never built my
previous cap ships and this exact ship was my very first…you get the idea?
So is it the model or is it Dan Jassim? I guess my earlier stuff set the bar
for me and I think they’ve come to expect more. Oh well.

Regarding the rest of the Jon’s post about scale and so forth, yeah, I’m a
bit annoyed but I’ll live. It just seems that my creation and post has been
turned into a springboard for his cause, concern or lament (not sure what to
call it). I can’t say if it was intended, but Jon put the spotlight on me
and punctuated his own personal dislikes regarding scaling and building
style. I don’t think anyone, Jon or otherwise, should be applying their
standards and measures to someone else's creations. I don't find that to be
constructive. More like pretentious, in my opinion and I think we spaceheads
should be above that. Regardless of how talented or creative someone may be,
nobody in this group, NOBODY, is the end-all authority on anything…at least
not the last time I checked. (Rant Off)

I apologize in advance if I’ve pissed anyone off.

Space!

Dan