 Space / 21236
Re: Dragonstar!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 20:36:37 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
I agree with Jon, although I would instead say that I think you could "build
different." I think the ship looks darn fine, but it is rather similar to
Gibraltar.

Well, it's SUPPOSED to look similar because it's part of the Space Force
fleet that includes Gibraltar and Regent, all made by the same imaginary
military design bureau at some imaginary shipyard where all of Space Force’s
starships are built. That’s the whole idea, Dogg. Kind of like the way U.S.
Navy ships are similar. Or kind of like the way 99% of Starfleet’s starships
on “Star Trek” have the saucer section and warp nacelle thing going on. The
design is meant to imply that this is the style of starship that Space Force
has adopted and the level of technology they possess. It serves to establish
uniformity in Space Force, rather than an eclectic collection of mismatched
vessels, such as the Rebel Fleet in Star Wars.

With Dragonstar, I thought I DID “build different.” For one thing, I
abandoned using BURPS and Arctic walls this time around. I introduced a new
trim color (yellow), a new bridge design, a new gun turret design, an
improved Wave Motion Gun opening, more canards and fins, different weapons
such as the missile bays on each side, prominent reverse thrusters (those
big “intakes” toward the front), and other different elements along with the
“standardized” elements featured in the previous ships. And I’m in the
process of developing a fully detailed underside, unlike all the previous
ships that were essentially bare because the underside was baseplates. So I
think it offers an array of improvements over the previous ships and, thus,
it already IS different. But maybe it’s not “different” enough for you or
not the “different” you had in mind?

I know you dig on Star Blazers, so that's cool... but I'm just not
blown away by it.

Aiyeet, G, that’s cool. Can I ask if you were blown away by my previous cap
ships? If so, then maybe you’re expecting too much. Do you just prefer the
original shiznit and don’t consider Dragonstar an improvement? As I recall,
some folks liked your original Neverwhere over Neverwhere 2. But YOU KNOW
Neverwhere 2 is better because YOU BUILT IT. You know how much work it was
and how much effort you put forth the second time around, improving and
modifying the design, incorporating new features, new parts and so on, until
you were ultimately satisfied and felt it was “perfect.” So who is right
about which version is better: them or you? You already know what I think…

Personally, I'd like to see you make a capital ship version of one of the
Queen's ships. I think that would rock.

Dude, there’s a lot of stuff I’D like to build that I’ll eventually get to
as time and Lego supplies permit, but there’s only so much I can do. Of all
my peeps, I think you can appreciate that the most. And I’m concerned about
the direction this thread is going, mainly because of Jon’s comments, not
yours. We’re better off steering away from encouraging others to build what
WE want to see and, instead, encourage them to build whatever they want,
however they want. The minute we start putting rules on this or that,
standardizing lugnet.space with “what-is-what” and “who-is-who,” we’ll
defeat the whole purpose of this group and become a bunch of boring,
conformists and elitists. Then I’ll be only MORE inclined to be stranger,
not because of limited time but out of genuine disgust. To anyone: If you
want to see more ships so-many-studs-long, at such-and-such a scale, then
build it yourself. In MY Lego universe, I AM GOD, just like everyone else
here. So build whatever and however you want, that should be the only rule
to follow. Break all the others.

Dan