 Space / 21202
Re: Dragonstar!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:36:07 GMT

"Daniel Jassim" <danieljassim@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:HA2yvK.16u@lugnet.com...
"And he told me no more big ships. Dan Jassim you are a big dirty liar..."
- Jon Palmer

Yes, I am! :)

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say that I think you can do
better.  I understand this might get me flamed to oblivion but I personally
think this looks exactly like Gibraltar except it's yellow.

Another thing about this coincides with some thoughts I've had recently on
scale.  I'm planning another big project and I keep thinking about a ship's
design and appearance in relation to it's size.  Your ship is built to look
like a massive carrier or destroyer.  Everything about it conveys a sense of
size and power when in reality it's (probably) no larger than 100 meters.
Even if it was 400 studs long it would still only be about 140 meters long.

(I'm using this)
http://www.suave.net/~dave/cgi/scale.cgi

Now obviously LEGO is a toy, and an expensive one, so I think there is a
certain amount of creative give in the design of a big ship.  A builder
obviously doesn't have the collection to make a massive 20 foot long
carrier, so he compresses some of the elements of a larger ship into a
smaller vessel. BUT, I think a builder should do this only to a point.
Including parts of a carrier (a few big guns, a small hanger) is one thing,
but shaping the entire vessel to match the appearance of a gigantic ship is
starting to look very strange to me...even if LEGO is just a toy.

For a point of reference imagine some sci-fi ships like the Millenium Falcon
or the Defiant.  Could you imagine a ship near that size flying through
space with massive star destroyer-style sturrets or a huge bridge tower?  I
personally think that would look insane.

I guess my point is (and I know I've brought this up before) is it would be
nice to see more 100 or even 200 stud SHIPs that didn't look like they were
supposed to really be 1000 stud SHIPs....I know the temptation is
incredible, I think I mostly fell for it with Bardiel. (a mistake I never
plan on making again, probably one of the reasons it's taking me so long to
make another SHIP, that and those damn letters ;-)

Regardless of anything negative I have to say, it is a beautiful ship and
it's masterfully built-- and if you want to build in this style forever
that's totally cool.  (you're also a .space stranger so anything you make is
generally welcome)  I just think you can push yourself harder.

[ j o n ]