 Space / 20948
Re: new 2003 sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:12:40 GMT

The space line seems interesting though, however it appears to lack minifig
scale and seems more like collector items?

I am delighted with the lack of mini-figs. Lack of mini-figs means the Lego
designers are entirely free to choose the scale to suit the subject (and I
guess the parts budget for the set). I have noticed this year that there are
many more sets which are not to mini-fig scale - and they happen to be the
ones I want the most.

As long as the price per part is
right I'm interested but it seems they could have sold more if it was
compatible with everything else. Or wont the kids mind at all while at the same
time selling more to adults? Time will tell...

The fact that Lego sells squillions of Bionicles and Jack Stone despite
their general unpopularity with AFOLs tells me that Lego understands the Kid
market, and

Personally I think the real space thingies are better then classic and SW.
*ducks and take cover in flame proof shelter*

Well, let's scroll back to 1979 or so. Let's imagine that SW, Classic Space
and Real Space are all on the shelves. If it was me as a kid, no contest, I
would have bought SW. If it was my Dad, no contest, he would have bought
Real Space. No doubt, Classic Space would have lost out every time.

The main reason we I love my Classic Space is the warm memories, and it was
the only space sets available. Does anyone remember when Blacktron came out
with a walker (6876) and an X-Wing (6887)? Do you remember wishing for a
real AT-AT and X-Wing?