 Technic / 9131
Re: new 2003 sets: 8455
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:34:46 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Paul Kleniewski writes:
take a closer look at 8455
IMHO it has more than 9 pistons

Indeed it seems like your right!

Zoomes in some more on the photo...

near the right rear stake there is one valve positioned in other way
i think its valve to control rotation of arm
so is has to have 10 or even 11 pistons
(and there is 2 pumps)

what do you think

I think as follow, front to aft pneumatics only:

1) Two pistons to tilt bucket, clearly showing, and new type of piston w/o
bottom 2x2, I dislike it 'cause it will be even harder to "stack" them in order
to make a longer piston. With any luck there is a cross axle hole instead of a
round one. However it looks like it's round.

2) Two pistons to raise the bucket arm, one clearly showing, and the other can
be seen.

3) Left side on the cab, where the footstep to the door is, one switch. This
one probably controls the bucket. It's a new form of switch that looks like a
winner to me. It's a little bulky and hard to get a switch fixed but this new
element seems to fix that.

4) My guess is there is another switch on the right side for the other bucket
function. It's hard to say for sure but some black hoses look like they go in
that direction.

5) Front of cab, centre. Two (!) pump pistons showing. It's a bushing between
them so they are linked together. No doubt to give more oomph to the system. I
don't think there is any air tank in this set.

6) Right side of the cab, to the back, there is a dark grey patch that might be
another switch, if this is the case my guess is it controls the "legs".

7) Support legs, one piston each. This is not clear on this photo but the old
photo that was leaked from Marz shows it clearly.

8) Back of cab, four switches. My guess is this control the backhoe, one for
swivel, one to raise the arm, one to straighten it out and one to bend the
scoop.

9) There should be at least one pneumatic piston to swivel the rear bucket arm,
perhaps two. There is no knob showing that might perform this and I don't think
LEGO designed this nice set only to make this function hand moved.

10) Pneumatic piston in the base of the arm to lift it. On this photo it's
placed under the arm, the old Marz photo shows it above the arm (more on the
differences later).

11) One piston above the arm to straighten it out.

12) One piston to bend the rear scoop.

Non-Pneumatic functions:
1) Front wheels are obvious steer able

2) V6 engine, no doubt connected to the rear wheels.

3) Flashy light thing on the roof should control the steering, what looks like
a z8 gear can be seen underneath it, in line with the lever of the pneumatic
switch seen in the cab.

4) Rear scoop looks like a new item it has three teeth. I don't know about the
front bucket, but it looks quite big.

Other then the pneumatics I can't spot any new pieces, however some are in new
colours such as the hubs for the big wheels.

Differences between the leaked Marz photo and this photo:
1) A lot more dark grey in the new (my sp-check suggested darker grey :) ).
2) Pneumatic pump has been moved down into the cab and doubled, there were
only one
3) The pneumatic switches seem standard grey in the old photo
4) The whole rear arm has been re-designed, pistons moved, the red flexi tube
has disappeared. A major re-design.

My thoughts about the model:

I'm glad they redesigned the rear arm it looks much better now. The new
pneumatic switches looks really good, I look forward to playing with them. The
controls for the pneumatics might be hard to grab since they are placed near
other things, certainly for adult hands. The whole thing seems dense with hoses
and gears for steering and motor/back axle. That's good :)

There seems to be a major lack of studded beams in this set, personally I don't
mind since I have a lot of beams and not so much of these lift arm types. It
looks like there is a good pile of straight ones that are quite useful.

Part wise it should be a good set, not so much axles or gears but a ton of
pneumatics (my guess is 10 pistons, 7 switches and 2 pumps). The buckets should
also come in handy building my own designs.

I also reckon the playability is great on the set, despite the fact the
controls are a little "tight". The thing will no doubt move quite a bit
downwards when pumping.

I know I will buy one no matter the price per part, is the price good I might
even buy two right away!

Best regards
/Tobbe
http://www.lotek.nu