 Space / 20348
Re: The A.R.C.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 02:08:34 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:
Good discussion.  I'm trying to nail down what I meant as well when I said
it looked like something you built.  While I can't place it exactly I still
stand by what I said.  Perhaps it's because this creation doesn't look
overtly "serious".  Many builders tend to immidiatly make something that
comes off as really dark or serious right up front, and it usually fails and
just looks dorky and juvenile (IMO anyway).

I think I know what you mean.  I wasn't saying I disagree about having a
style, I just never really tried to intentionally make things a certain way.
I am mostly curious because I'd love to try and develop a style on purpose
just to see where the designs would go if I took it even further.

I don't really have any strict esthetic rules, other than I
believe function dictates form.  Hmmmm... I also like opposing geometric
shapes... maybe thats it!

Could you explain this?  Like give an example if you could.

sure thing... the Ves makes a good example actually.
I based the cockpit off a sphere because it is the only large object
carrying feature of the vehicle, and spheres are the most effient holding
shape, especially with pressures.  From there, I added the main atmospheric
solid-fuel engines to the sides and for quick manouvering, I decided that
there should be a long extension opposite the main thrusters, with a
rotating head and swiveling boosters on the end.  The extension naturally
took on the shape of a cone projecting from the front of the sphere, and I
located the fuel storage and front landing gear there.  The cockpit window
is basically only there in case of emergency blind/manual landing (the pilot
uses holo-projected-HUD exclusively), so I made it face the ground.  This
left the rear of the craft for the hatch and landing platform.  The top of
the ship houses the inertia dampners, heat dispersal vents, and the
intersystemic drive unit.

is that what you mean?

cheers!
Jk