 Robotics / NXT / 22
Re: My First Classroom Use
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 12:42:53 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Tony Naggs wrote:
<snip>
The phone may allow you to "pair" with a NXT Brick, but I think you will
need to install software that understands how to talk to the NXT.
Either native software (e.g. Nokia Series 60, Palm or Windows Mobile),
or Java.

I have not seen MDP members speak about this yet, I guess an NDA still
applies.

<snip>

Regards,
Tony Naggs

Though I don't know a great deal about the bluetooth part of NXT, I thought I'd
respond quash the idea of the NDA being in effect regarding this. That isn't the
case (we are still under NDA for some things, but not this).  So here are my
completely at-random thoughts on the subject.

1.  If this is your first experience with bluetooth, it will be a little
strange.

2.  Once you understand the idea of pairing devices, it is pretty simple.  The
NXT will remember what you have paired it to in the past, and store those by
name, whether it be a handheld computer, laptop, another NXT, whatever.  This
makes re-connecting alot easier.

3.  As to pairing with a cell phone, I've never tried that.  You'll have to be
able to program the phone to be able to send commands to the NXT.  I think the
most probable candidate for this is likely JAVA.  Some MDPers worked on this,
but I can't remember their level of success.

4.  There are a few simple programs floating out there for handheld computers to
send commands to the NXT.  If I can remember where they are, I will post.

5a.  Honestly I think the coolest thing we've done with NXT & bluetooth is also
the stupidest.  $500 remote control cars.  One NXT and motors acting as the
remote, the other NXT put into a car.  It is quite fun.  Somewher out there on
the internet there are videos & pictures.

5b.  Aside from being able to re-program a NXT via bluetooth, I think NXT to NXT
communication is the coolest thing to do with them.  Unfortunately this means
everybody needs 2 NXTs. (is that a bad thing?)

6.  If you are going to buy a bluetooth dongle for your computer to use with the
NXT, make sure you get one that will work.  Check out this discussion...
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=26174

That's about it for now.

John