 Robotics / NXT / 18
Re: My First Classroom Use
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 02:35:12 GMT

Another new week and a fresh batch of 9 kids in a Lego Team Challenge class.
This class is setup to help individuals take on a First Lego League challenge.

Starting from scratch, each student (ages 9 - 13) built a model of their choice.   No one finished within 2.5 hours.  I suspect they will all finish Tribot, Spike, RoboArm and AlphaRex tomorrow.  Then the programming begins in earnest.  I don't think we'll get to the FLL Challenge in 12.5 hours.  Building the tutorial models takes so much time.  NXT-G learning curve will add more.  I  suspect that building a custom model will probably not happen by the end of the week.

The concept of calibration seems to escape the kids.  Everyone missed out on the
"Warning" pages.  In time, I'm sure this can be bridged.  There was also a lot
of  gears ticking.  If we were using RCX motors, we'd have torqued and sheared
off the motor axles by now.  I'm concerned that we'll probably burn out an NXT
motor sometime this week.

Concurrent events programming also caused major cognitive problems.  I expected
this would cause problems because it always did in Robolab.  Although the
"picture" is easier to explain to kids.  NXT-G with the best of tab-RIS and the
best of flowchart-Robolab will be proven this week.

I tried to project on the InFocus but found ourselves short on resolution.  A
high resolution InFocus is probably out of the question at this time.