 Robotics / NXT / 5
Re: My First Classroom Use
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:32:29 GMT

I'll use this space as my blog on my initial classroom experience with the NXT.

Today, I had three pairs of boys (ages 10-11), building the arm, scorpion and
biped.  They had three hours from openning the boxes.  Two teams (scorpion and
biped) got to finish the base modules and tried to program them.

All the teams had to pull apart their models at some point and check against the
building instructions.  One team wished that they could have the instructions to
scale.  They're used to matching the actual parts by pressing them against the
drawing. I suppose this would be possible is we could print out the
constructopedia.  On the laptop, 1:1 scale would be difficult to achieve.

They also wished they could work on separate parts of the instructions.  I tried
to launch two sessions of the software, hoping they could switch between two
windows.  Unfortunately, only one session of NXT software is allowed on Windows
XP.  Maybe I can use separate logins.  But then it takes more time to switch
between users/sessions.

There was some difficulty connecting virgin parts together.  This would probably
ease itself with use.

Most of the challenges were overcome mainly by enthusiasm.  I'll capitalize on
this until I can develop a better "sales" pitch to the uninspired.

I have two girls in class.  They wouldn't touch the NXT.  Perhaps, when the
models are fully built and programmed, the girls might come forward.  Instead,
they built and raced RCX models and giggled when they fell apart.

To be continued tomorrow July 14, 2006.