 Robotics / NXT / 21
Re: My First Classroom Use
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 09:23:43 GMT

In article <J2q8sH.8Mq@lugnet.com>, gypsy_fly <e_pilobello@yahoo.com>
wrote
At first I thought each student ought to have the experience of building each of
the four models. It seems that having 9 kids choose one of four models and build
it, saved us some time.

I imagine that the building skills are quickly learnt, and that this
would be rather laborious.

They simply learned from each other's experience.

Cool.  :-)

Now they come with extra bionicle parts, questions on bluetooth, a plan to play
robo soccer, etc. ... these kids are feeling empowered. Four of them spent 3
hours trying various configurations for a driving base.  We now have several
models running around.

Excellent.

Now I'm having to cram on bluetooth.

The most common usage is for a wireless link between a headset and
mobile phone, or variations such as with high-end cars' built-in hands
free mic & speaker.

The manual seems to suggest that there was more info to be found at the
www.mindstorms.com\bluetooth.  There isn't.

:-(
I guess Lego are behind schedule in documenting this.

So I guess we have to pull out the cell phone manual to figure out how to have a
bluetooth cell talk to the NXT.

The phone may allow you to "pair" with a NXT Brick, but I think you will
need to install software that understands how to talk to the NXT.
Either native software (e.g. Nokia Series 60, Palm or Windows Mobile),
or Java.

I have not seen MDP members speak about this yet, I guess an NDA still
applies.

If you have any suggestions, please post.

If my NXT arrives today I will be looking at Bluetooth comms in the next
week.

By the way, do you have the retail NXT (8527) or the Educational kit
(9797)?  I have not seen any description of the educational software,
and am unclear how it differs from the NXT-G supplied with the retail
kits.

Regards,
Tony Naggs
--
  "If you don't know, invent." - Robert Baden-Powell