 Robotics / 5893
Re: RIS version 1.5 coming this fall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 19:03:26 GMT

I think I'm with Kekoa on this one.

TLG have always been very hot on what they consider right & wrong (most of us
have read the bit on www.lego.com where they take the time to list what is OK
& what is not). They take copyright/patent/trademark infringement very
seriously, as I think they have been hurt *badly* in the past by their
competitors. I'm certain their legal people have considered what reverse
engineering etc. has occured, and decided no action was appropriate - if they
felt differently, I'm sure several people such as Kekoa would have had a visit
from the lawyers!

I think the worried out there are forgetting 2 things:

1) TLG published the OCX interface in quite some detail. OK, much of it was
already known by reverse engineering, but why publish something in this detail
just to change direction? I suggest publication of the SDK is an acceptance of
the 'adult' users.

2) "RCX code" is a bit of a bag of nails. It's many limitations are purely
frustrating, even for such as my 10 year old son ("Why can't I put that block
under this one?", "Why can't I print my program" and so on). As we know from
such as NQC, the firmware in the RCX is not to blame.

I recon 1.5 will be a much improved "RCX code" with some small scale bug
fixes/improvements/extra sensor handling in the firmware & OCX. I'm hoping
Lego make this a download off the website - my main worry is we will be fored
to buy an upgrade CD!

Kevin.