 Robotics / 5900
Re: RIS version 1.5 coming this fall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 23:22:20 GMT

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Todd Lehman wrote:

OK, that's what I thought.  But from that, doesn't it follow that this
statment would be true?--

   It is possible to write replacement firmware which, when downloaded
   and executed, still allows new application code but prevents the
   downloading of further new firmware.  (?)

How about this statement?--

That is true except for removing the firmware by removing the batteries.
Since the only alterable storage is powered by the batteries, there can
never be permanent changes to the brick that survive a hard power-off.

I don't see any sort of "factory reset" switch in the RCX, nor even any type
of physical switch or even jumper on my Rev. 71748.003 JDP6141-2/LAY 4
circuit board.  How about passing a voltage across two special connectors
somewhere to cause a factory reset?  (heh heh, probably not.)  Is there a
real ROM chip anywhere on the board (as opposed to EEPROM or whatever it
uses)?

The ROM is in the CPU chip.  It is not EEPROM.  It is manufactured with
the Lego code in it.

I cringe at the thought of 1.0 bricks showing up in auctions simply because
they're more powerful/reconfigurable than later offerings.  (Again, probably
just unfounded paranoia.  I hope I'm wrong!!!)

You already have that with Cybermaster -- I would personally prefer a
radio interface but I have zero interest in a unit without replaceable
firmware.

I think so too, but I think it's important to be as prepared as possible for
any possible "countermeasures" which might get introduced in 1.5.  (Again,
I'm just speculating based upon what -could- be done -- and I hope I'm quite
wrong.)

I doubt they made the RCX flexible because they wanted people to download
replacement firmware.  I think they did so because it made it easier for
them to do things in the future that they didn't think of when it was
designed.  I see no reason that motivation will disappear.  Any sort of
security to prevent download of other code is easily defeated, because the
PC is an insecure platform.  You can always decipher the code used to
communicate with the RCX, so you can always duplicate that functionality.
There is simply no way around allowing others access to downloading
replacement firmware if they wish to do it for themselves.  (I am speaking
only of technical considerations, obviously they could try to restrain it
legally).

... But yeah,
the potential for competitors to pick up the technology would have any
company's panties in a knot too.

Would they really care if a competitor purchased Lego RCX hardware and sold
it with their own firmware?  The hardware design can certainly be protected,
but if someone did their own hardware and used replacement firmware, what
of TLG are they using?

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@LiveOnTheNet.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801