 Robotics / 5886
Re: RIS version 1.5 coming this fall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:33:26 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Kekoa Proudfoot writes:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:

<snip! snip!! snip!!!>

Perhaps not 100% literally, but suppose that in order to download new
firmware to RCX 1.5, the host software communicating to the RCX via IR had
to supply a lengthy password.  That would certainly be very easy for TLG
to implement, yes?

But then what?  Well, then if anyone tries to ship a third-party add-on to
download new replacement firmware, they're now committing an alleged act of
copyright infringement because they've shipped a copy of this proprietary
copyrighted password/encryption bitstring.

I believe something like this is possible.  But why would TLG do this?  Are
there other concerns so deep that they want to limit what half (was that
the figure?) their potential buyers might do with their product?  I find it
somewhat possible that the next RCX will be as easy to crack as the current
one, so that TLG can try to take advantage of the same enthusiasm that
raged (rages?) on with the current RCX.

They already do this.  Doesn't part of the process of downloading new firmware
involve sending a five byte sequence of the word LEGO followed by a registered
trademark symbol?  Technically, they could probably sue anyone else who sends
this particular string to an RCX.  (Whether they would win is another story,
but often moot in the wilderness of corporate law.)

Am I just over-reacting?

I think so.  But maybe not unjustifyably.

I wouldn't worry too much.  It's been what, less than a year since the
Mindstorms debut?  It's probably the same or similar RCX hardware, (almost
certainly the same processor family) and the same sensors.  I would expect RIS
1.5 to be a software update and maybe a different set of sensors in the base
kit.  Hopefully they won't make any gratuitous changes to the ROMware if it's
otherwise the same old RCX.

<wild speculation>
If TLG has been listening on LUGNET, then RCX 1.5 will have a 500 MHz
processor, 1 Gig of RAM, 64 sensor inputs and motor outputs, all powered off
of a 30-year rechargeable battery, and RIS will include a pair of color CCD
cameras as sensors.  Oh, and they'll include a new mental telepathy
programming language.  And of course, a list price of $4.95...
</wild speculation>

If the new product is radically different and better then it will be worth the
effort to reverse engineer.  If it isn't better then they probably won't sell
very many of them.  Unless TLG is completely out of touch with the
demographics (and spending power) of Mindstorms' AFOL-heavy customer base then
they are likely to provide _better_ support in the future for those of us who
demand more sophisticated programming tools for the RCX.

I'm hoping for the same hardware and ROMware, but better host computer tools,
including a REAL compiler.