 Robotics / 5905
Re: RIS version 1.5 coming this fall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 00:45:55 GMT

John A. Tamplin <jat@liveonthenet.com> wrote:
I think so too, but I think it's important to be as prepared as
possible for any possible "countermeasures" which might get introduced
in 1.5.  (Again, I'm just speculating based upon what -could- be done
-- and I hope I'm quite wrong.)

I doubt they made the RCX flexible because they wanted people to download
replacement firmware.  I think they did so because it made it easier for
them to do things in the future that they didn't think of when it was
designed.  I see no reason that motivation will disappear.  Any sort of
security to prevent download of other code is easily defeated, because the
PC is an insecure platform.  You can always decipher the code used to
communicate with the RCX, so you can always duplicate that functionality.
There is simply no way around allowing others access to downloading
replacement firmware if they wish to do it for themselves.  (I am speaking
only of technical considerations, obviously they could try to restrain it
legally).

Certainly they chose to allow firmware downloads to allow for future
upgrades.

For a new RCX, if they really wanted to prevent us from writing new
firmware, the best solution, and one we could not defeat without
extraordinary means, would be to include a firmware checksum somewhere in
the object code data file that only the ROM and people at Lego know how to
compute.  The software on the PC would not have to be involved.

Hence previous statements that if Lego really wanted to make things
difficult for us in the undoubtedly eventually forthcoming replacement to
the RCX, they can.

I personally do not expect to care one way or the other if they decide to
do make the successor to the RCX impossible to crack - it certainly is
their right to do so.  Moreover, I do not expect to spend any more time
reverse engineering another RCX-like device from Lego.  Reverse engineering
something like the RCX is only fun once.  In some ways, RCX 1.0 is golden
in my eyes, both because it is a reasonable platform to develop for (as far
as RCX-like devices go) and because it is the only such product I expect to
know so much about.

-Kekoa