 Robotics / 5906
RE: RIS version 1.5 coming this fall
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 02:51:32 GMT

Kekoa wrote:

I personally do not expect to care one way or the other if they decide to
do make the successor to the RCX impossible to crack - it certainly is
their right to do so.  Moreover, I do not expect to spend any more time
reverse engineering another RCX-like device from Lego.  Reverse engineering
something like the RCX is only fun once.  In some ways, RCX 1.0 is golden
in my eyes, both because it is a reasonable platform to develop for (as far
as RCX-like devices go) and because it is the only such product I expect to
know so much about.

Well, let me put in my nickle's worth as a grizzled veteran of embedded systems.
I'm 37 years old and have hacked the following...

1. A Commodore PET (my first FORTH) at age 20 or so
2. An HP48 calculator. The PPC ROM and synthetic programming was probably
    the prototype for a public user group providing firmware enhancements
3. Dark ages.....university, marriage, kids, etc
4. The RCX brick, which Kekoa laid the groundwork for and many others have followed.

While Kekoa may never undertake such a gargantuan task again, there will be
others consumed by the desire to know - just for fun...

The RCX was really opened up by having TLG provide hooks the interrupt vectors, and
with a pretty SOLID set of code in ROM and expansion possibilities in RAM.

A wouldn't be surprised to see 1.5 being really better firmware with more
variables, etc. They have a TON of money invested in the 1.0 hardware, and 80,000
units would barely break even...I'd be surprised to see a substantially different
hardware platform with more IOs.

I LIKE the 1.0 brick. Nuff said...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng