 Robotics / 3385
Re: navigation with compass
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 01:48:48 GMT

Sorry for this late follow-up to this old thread. Real Life has kept me away
from Lego for the whole week, and finally I am back.

Searching for "compass" in the LUGNET news archive turns up 28 entries, so
this topic has been discussed long ago, and my own experiments so far merely
confirm what has already been discovered:

1) The compass has to be separated from the RCX and the motors by several
inches, to avoid the interference. (Suddenly the pneumatic mechanism becomes
quite attractive. :-)
2) You can attach to the compass a paper disc with different shades of grays
to help the light sensor picking up the directions.

I thought the "floating ball" type (the type people usually attach to their
cars) would be more tolerant to leveling. However, its marks are designed more
for human than for machines to read. After some frustration in trying, I could
only narrow the directional reading to about 90 degree. Now I am moving back
to the traditional type of compass, and maybe I will put the compass in a
cradle to improve leveling.

Thanks to Kirk Davis for pointing out the compass sensors from Dinsmore. The
prices are quite attractive. Maybe I should pick up my soldering iron again.

Hao-yang Wang