 Robotics / 2391
2390  |  2392
Subject:
RCX Limitations, griping, etc. :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 00:24:30 GMT

Only 3 input ports... only 3 output ports... no expandability...  The
only redeeming thing for it from a programmer's point of view is LegOS.

ARGH!!!

Okay... I'll try to calm down.  Lessee...what are the alternatives?

Well, there's the MIT Programmable Brick.. But that's a research project
at MIT, and there are no plans to commercially sell it.  Can't get my
hands on one.

There's the Cricket.  Hrm... nope.  Only two motor outputs.  Further,
again, it's an internal project, with no plans for commercialization.
Again, can't get my hands on one.

There's the Handyboard...  Okay, now *THIS* has potential.  But there's
no readily obvious way to adapt it to a real LEGO mindset.  It's a bare
motherboard that is subjected to the elements, is delicate, has no nice
and  easy to follow directions in how to adapt it to plug into any LEGO
pieces, and overall just isn't suited to unplanned play.  I can probably
get one of them quite easily, but then what?

Am I frustrated?  Well... maybe just a little.

I'll shut up now.

Thanks for listening. :)

Mark
--
The preceeding comments are not intended to offend anyone or anybody's
efforts.  I realize that many people have done marvelous work in the