 Robotics / 2411
2410  |  2412
Subject:
Working around the 3 output limitation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:55:53 GMT

Someone mentioned a few days back that for a mobile robot you need to use
2 outputs for the motors. I reckon you can get around that on the proviso
that you *don't want to stop* one of the motors...

Make your chassis like a car, with rack-and-pinion (or whatever) steering
on one pair of wheels, and drive the other pair of wheels from a motor
attached to a standard battery box. If you've bought 8735 to get a 3rd
motor you'll have an otherwise useless battery box, so why not use it?

For a slow-moving robot (for example one which needs to pick up or carry a
heavy load), or for a combat robot, the continuously moving assumption is
quite reasonable. Another obvious situation would be if you're using a
pneumatic compressor and tank; off-hand I can't think of more, but I'm
sure there are others.

So, for example, you could make a robot with one output for steering, one
for an arm and the third for a gripper. (This, of course, assumes you've
got enough motors/actuators...)

Speaking of motors: here in the UK it seems the cheapest way to get a 3rd
motor is to buy the cheapest of the motorised ZNAP kits, which is 14 UKP
(about 20 USD) It doesn't have all the extra gear wheels etc that you'd
find in the 8735 kit, but is quite a lot cheaper.

Stuart