 Robotics / 2502
Re: Ethernet for RCX?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 19:49:52 GMT

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Tony Toyofuku wrote:

Has anyone put any thought into getting the RCX to output to an Ethernet
interface?

I don't know how you would get to it without hacking hardware and putting
an Ethernet controller in external address space, and then writing the
code for it.  One problem:  Ethernet needs a far amount of buffer space to
keep up with packets and that is one thing you have little of.

Of course, what I'm really interested in is an entire TCP/IP
stack- Ethernet hardware, RCX Ethernet driver, IP stack, TCP stack, and
a BSD sockets API, but I don't think such a beast exists.

Well, I plan on building networking code, but it won't be full IP.  However,
it would be easy to have an IP proxy running on the host computer and
relaying packets over the IR.

John A. Tamplin Traveller Information Services
jat@Traveller.COM 2104 West Ferry Way
256/705-7007 - FAX 256/705-7100 Huntsville, AL 35801