 Robotics / 22693
Re: Competitive MINDSTORMS: try again...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 03:36:19 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, David Perdue wrote:
It might come as a
surprise, but your hand is a very good emulator of a sumo-bot when it comes to
calibrating the light sensor. You simply put your hand in front of the searching
light sensor,

Again, this sounds really good, but it just won't work.

Just to prove it to myself, I did a little test.  I connected a light sensor to
an RCX, and set it so I could read the values.  As it turns out, I have four
sumo robots sitting around, so I was able to test each of the robots in front of
the sensor.  I tested all the robots, and my hand, and then I rotated the light
sensor 180 degrees, to minimize the effect of ambiant light in the room, and
repeated the test.

First, the light sensor read 53, with nothing in front of it.  When I put my
hand in fron (about 3-4 inches away) the reading dropped to 46.  I tried all
four robots, and the average reading was 50.75, just a bit above "hand" reading.

Next, I turned the sensor 180 degrees, and the normal reading dropped to 45.
Putting a hand in front of the sensor actually raised the reading to 50, and the
average reading for a robot was 45.5

As far as I can tell, there's no real pattern to the readings.

What sort of test did you use to show that this method would actually work?