 Robotics / 22665
Re: Competitive MINDSTORMS: Now in a store near you!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:31:15 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, David Perdue wrote:
I think I see where you're getting confused. Summed up, some of the concepts
presented in this chapter build upon Chapter 6 in Competitive MINDSTORMS, so
it's important to understand the concepts in that chapter before reading the
bonus chapter.

Right.  I can see the two motors connected to port B will slide the axles and
switch the drive train from "fast" to slow.

So let's look at this portion of code:

        /* if Input Port 1 is less than "thresh" or
         * equal to 100*/
          if(LBump<=thresh | LBump==100)
          {
           BL = 1;
           BR = 1;
           SwitchSTurn(); // if true, go on slow speed and...
           speed = 1;
           Forward();   // ...attack!
           until(LBump==thresh+5); // until sumo-bot goes away
           SwitchF();  // stop attacking
           speed = 0;
           BL = 0;
           BR = 0;
           PlaySound(SOUND_UP);
          }
       }
    }
}

So once LBump has detected the opponent, ZR1 switches to slow speed with
SwitchSTurn()--which is the important part--and stays like that until it loses
sight of the opponent. The whole task, and essentially a major part of ZR1's
sub-strategy, rely on the switching to slow speed.

...But I don't see how LBump will detect the opponent.

Or better yet, how does it know when it loses sight of the opponent?

If you can explain this, then I'll buy a book.

In theory, the whole design of this robot is very good, and would work very
well, but in pratice... I don't think it will work as expected.  That's why I'm
curious how these designs have done in competition.

Steve