 Robotics / 22670
Re: Competitive MINDSTORMS: Now in a store near you!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:27:29 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, David Perdue wrote:

Brain-Bot has a fast speed of 1:15 and a slow speed of 1:75

   By "speed", do you mean those are the gear ratios? What is the mass and wheel
radius for Brain-Bot? And how many driving motors does it use (i.e., how many
motors actually apply torque into the drive train, as opposed to shifting gears
for instance)? A 75-to-1 torque increase would (assuming 6 Ncm from each of two
standard gear motors, about what they stall out at) yield a wheel axle torque of
*900* Ncm, much much more than is needed for *any* of the LEGO wheels (even the
Power Puller's) under reasonable weight constraints. Help me out here, I must be
missing something as well.

1:15 and 1:75 are, in fact, the gear ratios. I achieved these ratios not by the
rotations--for instance, an 8t gear turning a 24t would result in a 3:1
ratio--but by counting the teeth--for instance, an 8t gear turning a 24t gear
would result in a 1:3 ratio. And there are actually only two motors applying
torque into the drivetrain--one for each side, acting independently--and the
wheel radius is 81.6 x 15 - these are the large "motorcycle wheels" included
with the RIS. I have not calculated the mass for Brain-Bot. I'm not sure about
the 900 Ncm wheel axle torque, but I hope this info clears things up.

   Any chance you could bring ZR1 or any of the other 'bots from your book to
Sumo 6 in Ann Arbor? I'd love to see how they work, and in general the 24tooth
events have been a very good time for all.

I thought that the event was yesterday, but apparently it's in September! I
would like to go - I recently told Jona that I wouldn't be able to go, but I
guess I'll have to write him back and say that I might be able to go after all!
I'm not 100% sure that I can attend, but I'll see what I can do. I'd love to
bring Gargantuan-Bot Version BL58 with me to the event, but I think that one
might be too big under the rule set. :)

Thanks,

David J. Perdue

www.davidjperdue.com