 Robotics / 22698
Re: Competitive MINDSTORMS: try again...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 16:04:38 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, David Perdue wrote:

"NOTE The entire arena should be well lit when using ZR1. Although this should
be the case anyway, for ZR1, it is especially important. If one section of the
arena is darker than another section, ZR1 might actually think it is seeing the
opponent and switch to slow speed when it gets to that area. The entire arena
must be uniformly and brightly lit."

I suspect this is where theory departs from reality.  That would be clear, if
you had been to a LEGO sumo event.

You seldom have control over the room lighting, much less the other robots.
I've seen events where sunlight was shining directly on part of the circle.

I've also seen robots that are all white, or are surrounded with lights.  In my
test, the reading actually went UP when the white robot was in front of the
sensor.

I'm looking forward to meeting you at Sumo-bot 6.  It would be nice to see how
your big robot, which I suspect is around 2.5 lbs, does against the smaller &
lighter 2 lb robots.