 Robotics / 22688
Re: Competitive MINDSTORMS: Now in a store near you!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:28:06 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, David Perdue wrote:

1:15 and 1:75 are, in fact, the gear ratios... there are
actually only two motors applying torque into the
drivetrain... wheel radius is 81.6 x 15

   Hmm. The way I see it, pushing power is limited (in an ideal world!) by one
of two factors: applied torque (a function of motors and gearing), and the
frictional force between the wheels and the surface (controled by the weight of
the 'bot and the coefficient of friction). There's little point maximizing
applied torque beyond the point where frictional contact of the wheels fails, so
ideally (there's that word again) you'd like them to be equal. In mathmatical
terms (forgive me):
   F_push = Torque_applied / r   <-- applied torque limit
   F_push = mu m g               <-- frictional limit
Setting these two equal should give us the minimum torque needed to just match
the frictional force that actually provides a forward "push":
   Torque_applied = mu m g r
   where mu = coefficient of friction
         m = mass of 'bot
         g = acceleration of gravity
         r = tire radius
So, for instance, for a 3 lb (1.36 kg) sumo bot, assuming *all* that weight is
carried on the driving wheels, you can get an idea of the minimum torque
required to break the wheels free; assume mu = 1 (high friction, although under
some circumstances there are LEGO wheels for which mu > 1. Honest.) and r = 4.1
cm, and you need at least (1)(1.36)(9.81)(4.1) = 54.7 N cm (see, there's a
reason I stayed in SI units the whole time... besides allowing certain
rtlToronto folk to follow, that is ;-), these are the same units I know the
motor torques in). That's the bare minimum that needs to be applied. I usually
aim at this point or above, as there are a number of things that can reduce the
delivered torque: due to low batteries, frictional losses in the geartrain,
friction in the wheel axles (this can be minimized with good axle support, but
there's a lot of weight riding on them), variations in motors.
   Also note that in terms of maximizing pushing power, skid plates (or
non-driven wheels) should carry the minimum of weight possible: any weight not
carried by the driven wheels reduces the maximum frictional force they can
exert.

I'm not sure about the 900 Ncm wheel axle torque...

   The way I got that was to consider that when stalled, the standard gear motor
delivers about 6 N cm of torque (less, about 4.5 N cm, if two are connected to
one current-limited output port). Take 6 N cm and gear it up by a factor of 75,
and each drive axle is at 450 N cm delivered, or a sum total of 900 N cm for the
'bot as a whole. Even at 15-to-1, delivered torque (again, assuming no losses)
should be 180 N cm, enough to break the Mindstorms motorcycle tires free even if
the 'bot weighed in at 3.3 kg (over 7 pounds).

Wow! That's a lot of math. I see now where the 900 N cm comes into the picture.

I'd love to bring Gargantuan-Bot Version BL58 with me to the
event, but I think that one might be too big under the rule
set. :)

   What's it weigh? Sumo 6 is a 2 lb limit (rtlToronto folks, that's 909 grams)
and must fit upon start-up inside a 12" by 12" square (30 cm, guys). Come on
down!

Unfortunately, BL58 does weigh over 2 lbs, but as Brian suggested, I could bring
it anyway and we could have several rounds with it just for fun.

Thanks,

David J. Perdue

www.davidjperdue.com

www.davidjperdue.com/competitivemindstorms