 Robotics / 22694
Re: RCX serial output? Interfacing to Yost ServoCenter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 04:21:00 GMT

To put some things straight,
RIS version 2 is sold with a usb interface to the IR
tower for programming the RCX, version 1.0 and 1.5
used a serial interface. All three versions of RIS are
upgradable to version 2.0 firmware. Version 1.0 RCX
has a connecter for external power. Versions 1.5 and
2.0 do not.  All three versions are programmable from
either the serial or the USB IR tower, at least from
the NQC IDE, AFAIK.

It is possible to buy both versions of IR tower on
eBay if you are patient.

There is only one serial interface to the RCX, and
that is the IR interface, unless you write one in
software to use the sensor input ports. The only
reason to not like this interface is if you are going
to be operating the RCX in bright sunlight, which
drowns out the IR interface effectively.

Additionally, the IR port on the RCX can be used to
communicate with devices other than the IR tower from
LEGO. www.mindsensors.com has a few external devices
that communicate via the RCX IR port.

Hope that helps

Cheers

--- Mark Tarrabain <markt@SPAMBLOCK.lynx.net> wrote:

Joe Strout wrote:
You have all been very patient and kind with your • answers -- I hope you'll
indulge me one more silly question.

Does the RCX have a serial output?  I believe I • know that it has a USB cable,
and perhaps an IR port, but what about a regular
serial port of some shape?

Why on earth would you want one?  What does serial
do that the wireless
IR doesn't?

And actually, the RCX doesn't have a USB port, the
USB cable connects
your computer to  the IR tower, which then
communicates wirelessly with
the RCX.

If you are wondering whether the IR tower has a
serial connector, the
one that comes with the RIS doesn't, but I believe
you can order one
that does directly from LEGO (you will also need to
order software to
work with it).  Another option would be to get the
more transparent
solution of using an external serial/USB interface.

Mark