 Robotics / 22695
RE: interfacing PCs with LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:27:22 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com
[mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com] On Behalf Of Joe Strout
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 11:24 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: interfacing PCs with LEGO?

Disclaimer: I'm not into LEGO robotics yet, so I am quite
likely full of baloney.  I hope you'll humor me anyway.

Preamble: I'm thinking ahead to when I might get into LEGO
robotics, and the sorts of projects I'd like to do.  I'm a
software engineer with a background in vision and some
experience in natural language processing, and I'd like to
take advantage of those.  But those require a "real" computer
-- and the beefier, the better, as they're very processor-intensive.

I'm also thinking of the number of degrees of freedom I might
like to have in my robots (four for the hand, one for the
elbow, two for the shoulder... and that's just one arm!), and
dividing this by the number of outputs on the RCX.  Then
multiply by the cost (and bulk) of an RCX... ouch.

Then I notice that you can buy a complete, plug-and-play
Linux box at Walmart for $300, complete with a decent CPU,
hard drive, power supply, etc. -- just add monitor, plug it
in, and turn it on.

All this has led me to ask...

My Question: Can anyone point me to resources about
interfacing an ordinary PC with the LEGO inputs and outputs?
Instead of an RCX, I'd like to get the guts of a cheap PC,
stick it in a largish LEGO robot, and have that control
everything (and program this board by plugging in an ethernet
cable and simply SSHing to it).  Is this doable, without
going through the RCX?  What sort of interface hardware would I need?

Thanks,
- Joe

Hello,

It sounds like you want to do something more like the open source
"Rodney" project:
http://www.fuzzgun.btinternet.co.uk/rodney/rodney.htm

It's not LEGO, but it is cool and sounds more like what you describe
above--would probably be a heck of a lot cheaper than attempting to do
the same in LEGO.

To give you an appreciation of size in terms of LEGO, check out Eric
Sophie's Jamocklaquat
(http://www.biomechanicalbricks.com/ESLC/jamocklaquat.htm) which uses 41
motors.  The robot is as tall as an 8-to-10 year old child.

Rob